Modern Trends in Asphalt and Paving
Modern technology has made a positive impact on many commercial fields, and one great example here is the realm of asphalt mixing, paving and repair. Continued innovation here has brought us advances in several major areas, and owners or managers of any facility that utilizes asphalt surfaces outdoors should be aware of these moving forward for optimal cost-efficiency and safety.
At Asphalt Masters, we’re proud to offer a wide range of asphalt services to clients around Ogden, UT and nearby areas, including asphalt repair, asphalt sealcoating and more. Here are some of the key ways asphalt technology is improving, plus how this may impact your surfaces or the various needs they come with.
One common issue with some asphalt surfaces is runoff, and this can lead to flooding or other environmental concerns, not to mention the potential for damage. Permeable asphalt helps address these issues by allowing water to pass through the surface, reducing runoff and creating a more sustainable solution for your property.
If you’ve dealt with flooding or pooling on your asphalt surface, this could be a great solution to consider. This is also a common approach for those who want to add to the eco-friendly nature of their surfaces.
Other Eco-Friendly Asphalt Materials
There are several additional asphalt-related materials that have helped to minimize carbon footprints and waste. Here are some top examples:
- Bio-based binders: The ability to use materials that were previously considered waste, such as vegetable oils or animal fats, can help you keep costs down and further reduce environmental impact. This also helps reduce dependency on petroleum and other traditional binders.
- Recycled asphalt: This is a great way to reduce the amount of material that needs to be disposed of and allows us to reuse part of existing surfaces for new projects. By reducing waste, we can minimize our impact on the environment as well help your project stay within budget.
- CO2 reduction during manufacturing: While it’s not yet possible to completely eliminate CO2 emissions in asphalt production, there are still opportunities to reduce them. We make sure that our processes are as efficient and safe as possible when it comes to the environment.
These can be especially beneficial if you’re looking for more sustainable solutions for your property. Whether it’s an eco-friendly approach, reduced costs or enhanced safety that you need – modern asphalt technology can provide the answers for almost any project.
There are also a number of modern additives that can be part of today’s asphalt mixes. These may provide several durability and longevity benefits, plus cost savings. Some examples:
- Fibers and nanomaterials: These can help increase the strength of the asphalt and make it more resistant to cracking or other issues. Because of the added durability, you may be able to reduce maintenance costs over time.
- Polymers: These can help make asphalt more resistant to water, reducing risks of pooling and runoff while enhancing the overall performance of your surface. These polymers are added to the asphalt binder, making it more flexible and better able to withstand colder climates and other adverse weather conditions.
- Anti-stripping agents: Featuring qualities like moisture reduction and better adhesion, these additives can make the asphalt surface more resistant to wear and tear. In some cases, they may even help reduce the need for repairs or replacements in the future.
Improvements to Asphalt Paving Techniques
Finally, modern technology has improved our actual asphalt paving processes in a few ways:
- Warm Mix Asphalt (WMA): This allows for asphalt to be mixed and laid at lower temperatures, reducing the risk of fumes and other environmental issues. The end result here is a better-laid surface with improved durability that’s also more sustainable.
- 3D printing: The 3D printing world has expanded to several other areas and asphalt is no exception. This can help you save time and money while reducing labor costs, creating an ideal solution for any situation.
- Cold in-place recycling and full-depth reclamation: Two different methods of asphalt rehabilitation, these can help you preserve existing surfaces while making them safe and usable. Depending on the surface’s condition and your specific needs here, one of these two could be a great option to consider.
As you can see, modern technology has made a huge impact in the asphalt paving industry. Whether it’s eco-friendly materials or innovative techniques, the possibilities are truly endless here. Make sure to look into these options as you plan your next project – they can make a world of difference!
At Asphalt Masters, we have know-how and experience to help you make the most of modern solutions. Contact us today to learn how our team can bring your project up to date, or about any of our asphalt services around Ogden, UT and nearby areas.